AHG Australia
Telephone: +61 7 3137 2100
Email: chartering@andersonhughes.com
AHG Argentina
Telephone: +54 11 5275 7702
Email: ahba@andersonhughes.com

History.

In the beginning the firm had a fleet of sailing vessels which would trade between the West Indies, Australia and the Far East. For the ships calling Australia, the principal port call was Adelaide. Their Ships trading to Jamaica would make two voyages per year, and due to insurance restrictions, were only allowed to leave the West Indies between 1st August and 12th January, the remainder of the year being “hurricane period”.

On the conclusion of peace with France in 1815, Alex Anderson (Lieutenant, R.N.), retired from the Navy, purchased a ship which had been captured from the French and engaged in trade with the West Indies, commanding his own ship. He gave James Thomson & Co. the London Agency of his vessel, and Mr Thomson, at his request, took his nephew, James Anderson of Peterhead, into his office.

James George Skelton Anderson (James Anderson’s nephew) joined the firm in 1854 and later became a partner on the 1st January 1863.

In 1877, the firm built offices at no. 3 and 5 Fenchurch Avenue, and in the same year chartered (with option to purchase) from the Pacific Steam Navigation Co., the Lusitania, Chiborazo, Garonne, and Cuzco.

When the Lusitania (which was only 3,825 tons register) came round from Liverpool to London to load for Australia she held the distinction of being the largest steamer that had been up the Thames. She sailed for Australia on the 25th June 1877, and marked the beginning of the first regular service of full-powered steamers between England and Australia.

In 1879, the Orient Company built the Orient (5,365 Tons). She was the first passenger steamer specially designed to meet the requirements of the Australian Trade. The Orient created an intense amount of public interest being the largest steamer in the world at the time (with the exception of the Great Eastern). Her first voyage on the 1st November 1879 beat all previous records for a voyage between London and Adelaide.

George Donaldson joined Anderson, Anderson & Co. in October 1881. In 1885 he became interested in the compilation of a telegraph code to be used in chartering vessels for grain from Australia, and this led to his assisting in the fixing of these ships as well as vessels to load on the berth in London for Australian ports.  He passed into the Chartering Department in 1887 and gradually extended his operations to chartering in general trades. In 1903 George became Senior of the Chartering Department, paying particular attention to chartering steamers for the Rio Tinto Co. Ltd.

For many years, Sir Kenneth Anderson and Sir Frederick Green (1845–1927) alternated annually as Orient Line Chairman, until Greens sold out their interests to Lord Inchcape when P&O acquired a controlling interest in the Orient S.N. Co. in 1919. A new firm, Anderson, Green & Co. Ltd., then managed the Orient Line on its new owner’s behalf until the subsidiary was formally absorbed into its senior partner in 1960. Anderson, Green & Co. Ltd. then became a shipbroking firm.

In 1975 Anderson Green & Co. merged with Birt, Potter & Hughes, which was also involved in shipbroking, chartering and sale and purchase. The resulting merger formed Anderson Hughes Limited.